- AT&T said its post-paid wireless customers won’t be charged for international long-distance calls and texts to Japan.
- AT&T’s residential wireline customers can get credits that will allow for 60 minutes of free calls to Japan.
- All of the AT&T offers on Japan communications run from March 11.
- Free AT&T Voice/Text via U.S. Mobile to Japan (Also Free “TV Japan” for AT&T Uverse subscribers)
- Verizon Wireless post-paid customers can do free calling, texting and multimedia messaging with Japan residents from March 11, 2011 through April 10, 2011.
- Verizon Communications is offering free calls from residential landlines to Japan between March 11, 2011 and April 10, 2011.
- Comcast will waive fees for its Xfinity Voice and Business Class Voice customers on all calls made Friday through April 10, 2011.
- T-Mobile USA will offer free calls and text messaging on its wireless and Wi-Fi networks made from March 11, 2011 through March 31, 2011.
TIME WARNER CABLE
- Time Warner Cable is allowing its customers to call Japan for free through April 15, 2011.
- The offer extends to all residential and business-class digital phone customers and is retroactive for calls placed on March 11, 2011 according to a news release. Calls to operators and directory assistance will be charged at normal rates, the release said.
WI-FI IN JAPAN:
DISASTER MESSAGE BOARDS (enter person’s phone number):
- Person Finder
- Google Response site
- Confirm your safety on Facebook
- Red Cross Family Links
- U.S. State Department person-finder
OTHER USEFUL NUMBERS
Multi-language call center Bricks Corp. in Tokyo’s Shinjuku Ward is offering free 24-hour interpreting service via phone in English, Chinese and Korean for foreign disaster victims. Spanish and Portuguese available 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Dial 050-5814-7230.
The Tokyo Metropolitan Government offers multi-lingual consultations in English (Monday-Friday) at (03) 5320-7744, Chinese (Tuesdays and Fridays) at (03) 5320-7766 and Korean at (03) 5320-7700.
Consultation Support Center for Foreign Residents under the Immigration Bureau: in English, Chinese and Portuguese (Monday-Friday) at (03) 5155-4039. (Also offered in Vietnamese, Indonesian, Spanish and Bengali. Call for days of the week each language is offered.)
Japan Association of Translators has a list of volunteer interpreters to help victims of the earthquake.