Typhoon Ma-on Update
If a typhoon occurs English language typhoon information can be found on military weather radio stations 648 AM and 89.1 FM or at Typhoon Information (Japan Meteorological Agency) — Check out Chris Wilson’s blog for some typhoon tips!
--- REMARKS: 180300Z POSITION NEAR 27.4N 133.1E. TYPHOON (TY) 08W (MA-ON), LOCATED APPROXIMATELY 625 NM SOUTHWEST OF TOKYO, JAPAN, HAS TRACKED NORTHWARD AT 10 KNOTS OVER THE PAST SIX HOURS. NEXT WARNINGS AT 180900Z, 181500Z, 182100Z AND 190300Z.//
[Via American Embassy Tokyo] We will continue to monitor Typhoon Ma-on’s track and will issue updated messages as appropriate. Please monitor the typhoon’s track by listening to the radio or watching television. Locate shelter, monitor media reports, and follow all official instructions. Carry your travel documents at all times (i.e. U.S. Passport, Birth Certificate, picture ID’s, etc.) or secure them in a safe, waterproof location. You should also contact friends and family in the United States with updates about your whereabouts.
You will find additional information on cyclones and storm preparedness on the “Bureau of Consular Affairs’ Hurricane Preparedness Page” at: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis_pa_tw_2915.html, and on the “Natural Disasters” page of the Bureau of Consular Affairs website at:http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/emergencies/emergencies_1207.html. Additional information on the Pacific Typhoon Season may be found on the “Pacific Typhoon Season” webpage at:http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_5473.html.
Updated information on travel in Japan may be obtained from the Department of State by calling 1-888-407-4747 within the United States and Canada, or from overseas, 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 am to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
Please continue to monitor the Embassy’s website, http://japan.usembassy.gov/, for updated information. Please consult the Country Specific Information Sheet for Japan, available on the Bureau of Consular Affairs website at http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1148.html.
For any emergencies involving U.S. citizens, please contact the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit of either the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo or one of the U.S. Consulates in Japan listed below:
U.S. Embassy in Tokyo
American Citizen Services
1-10-5 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-8420
After Hours: 03-3224-5000
The U.S. Embassy serves Americans in Tokyo, Chiba, Fukushima, Gunma, Ibaraki, Kanagawa, Nagano, Niigata, Saitama, Shizuoka, Tochigi, Yamagata and Yamanashi.
• Osaka-Kobe: 11-5, Nishitenma 2-chome, Kita-ku, Osaka 530-8543; Tel: 06-6315-5912, Fax: 06-6315-5914; serving Americans in Osaka, Tel: 06-6315-5912, Fax: 06-6315-5914; serving Americans in Osaka, Aichi, Ehime, Fukui, Gifu, Hiroshima, Hyogo, Ishikawa, Kagawa, Kochi, Kyoto, Mie, Nara, Okayama, Shimane, Shiga, Tokushima, Tottori, Toyama, and Wakayama prefectures. http://osaka.usconsulate.gov/
• Nagoya: Nagoya International Center Bldg. 6th floor, 1-47-1 Nagono, Nakamura-ku, Nagoya 450-0001; Tel (052) 581-4501, Fax: (052) 581-3190; providing emergency consular services only (including death and arrest cases) for Americans living in Aichi, Gifu, and Mie prefectures.http://nagoya.usconsulate.gov/
• Fukuoka: 5-26, Ohori 2-chome, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka 810-0052; Tel: 092-751-9331, Fax: 092-713-9222; serving Americans in Fukuoka, Kagoshima, Kumamoto, Miyazaki, Nagasaki, Oita, Saga and Yamaguchi prefectures. http://japan.usembassy.gov/fukuoka/wwwhmain.html
• Sapporo: Kita 1-jo, Nishi 28-chome, Chuo-ku, Sapporo 064-0821; Tel: 011-641-1115, Fax: 011-643-1283; serving Americans in Akita, Aomori, Hokkaido, Iwate and Miyagi prefectures.http://sapporo.usconsulate.gov/
• Naha: 2-1-1 Toyama, Urasoe City, Okinawa 901-2104; Phone: 098.876.4211, Fax: 098.876.4243, DSN: 645-7323; serving Americans in Okinawa and the Amami Oshima Island group